No, dogs cannot eat cherry pits. Cherry pits or seeds are highly toxic and dangerous for dogs. It is best to keep cherries away from your dog if you have them at home. Eating cherry pits can cause cyanide poisoning, which can be fatal.
Why Can’t Dogs Eat Cherry Pits?
Cherry pits contain cyanide which is highly harmful to dogs and causes cyanide poisoning. The interesting thing is that cherry fruit flesh is not toxic to dogs. It is the pit, stem, and leaves that can cause harm to your dog.
How Many Cherry Pits are Dangerous for Dogs?
Even a single cherry pit can be dangerous, especially if you have a small dog. Cyanide reacts quickly, which is why it is best to keep your dog away.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Cherry Pit?
If you have seen your dog consume a cherry pit, immediately contact the vet. If they are unavailable due to odd hours, contact the pet ER.
If you have cherries in your house and you suspect your dog has consumed a cherry pit, monitor their behavior and closely monitor symptoms. Remain in contact with your vet so they can guide you about the next steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your dog ate a cherry pit and hasn’t displayed any symptoms, it might have passed through their digestive system without causing any harm. It can take up to 48 to 72 hours for your dog to expel it from their body. Meanwhile, keep an eye on your dog and immediately take them to the vet if they display any symptoms.
If a dog swallows a cherry pit, they will experience vomiting, reduced appetite, constipation, dilated pupils, and troubled breathing. It is important to know about symptoms so that you can help your dog.
Cyanide poisoning symptoms can appear in a second. This is why it is important to keep an eye on your dog if there are cherries nearby.