Skip to content

Yes, dogs can eat strawberry leaves. Strawberry leaves and strawberry tops are both safe and non-toxic for your dog. Strawberry leaves can provide your dog with some healthy nutrients as well. Still, it is best not to feed your dog strawberry leaves too often. When serving, cut the leaves and tops into small pieces to prevent a choking hazard.

Strawberry Leaves
safe icon

Safe: This food is generally considered safe by the veterinary community. Dogs can eat this food sometimes or in small amounts but contains little to no nutritional value.

Food Safety Safe in small amounts occasionally
Nutritional Value Low fat, carbohydrate, fiber, rich in antioxidants, and full of vitamins
Potential Risks Upset stomach, gastrointestinal blockage, choking hazard
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

How Many Strawberry Leaves Are Safe for Dogs?

A small number of strawberry leaves are enough for your dog. When unsure about the quantity, consider your dog’s size and evaluate their required daily calories to decide how much you should give your dog.

A rule of thumb you can follow for your dog’s healthy diet is to ensure that 90 percent of their calorie intake comes from protein-based food like meat, while the other 10 percent can be vegetables, fruits, or any other snacks and treats.

How to Feed Strawberry Leaves and Tops to Your Dog?

Thoroughly wash strawberry leaves and tops before giving them to your pet dog. Check to see if the fruit is fresh and not moldy or rotten.

TIP: When serving fruit or vegetables to your dog, make sure to wash them well. Dirt and pesticides on the food item can be harmful to your dog.

Chop up the leaves and strawberry tops so your dog can eat them without trouble, and they are also easy on your dog’s stomach.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Yes, dogs can eat strawberry tops. Strawberry tops and leaves should only be fed in moderation once or twice a week.

  • No, strawberry leaves are not poisonous for dogs. However, they can cause intestinal blockage if a dog eats too many strawberry leaves.

  • Strawberry tops are edible for dogs and humans. Your dog can eat strawberry tops as a snack occasionally. You can offer them strawberry tops as a treat a couple of times a week.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.