Skip to content

No, dogs should not eat raisin bread since raisins are highly toxic to dogs and can lead to acute kidney failure. If your dog eats even a tiny portion of a raisin, you should seek immediate medical assistance from your local veterinarian.

Raisin Bread
dangerous icon

Dangerous: This food is generally considered a serious threat to the health and wellbeing of dogs. Please contact your vet, a veterinary hospital or pet poison control if you suspect your dog has eaten this food recently.

Food Safety Toxic in all amounts.
Dangerous Serving A serving as small as 0.1 ounces per kilogram of raisins can be toxic and potentially fatal.
Poisoning Symptoms Vomiting, bad breath, decreased urination, dehydration, diarrhea, increased thirst, lethargy, weakness, depression.
Severe Poisoning Severe raisin poisoning can lead to kidney failure and can be fatal.
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

How Many Raisins are Dangerous for Dogs?

There is no set amount of raisins that can be declared dangerous. Even a single raising is enough to trigger kidney failure, therefore it is best to ensure your dog does not eat anything that has any sort of raisin product.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Raisins?

The exact mechanism behind raisin poisoning is unknown. However, the poisoning is not dependent on dosage and any traces of raisins can lead to kidney failure.

What to Do if Your Dog Ate a Raisin?

If your dog accidentally eats a raisin you should seek immediate medical assistance. It is essential to remove any traces of the raisin from your dog’s system and urgent medical intervention is needed for that.

How is Raisin Poisoning Treated in Dogs?

The first goal of the vet is to immediately block the absorption of toxins and minimize damage to the kidneys. For this purpose, vets induce vomiting by administering emetics, such as activated charcoal.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Symptoms such as vomiting will show right away. However other symptoms might take 12-24 hours to appear.

  • No, it is best to immediately get medical attention from professionals since it is a dangerous situation.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.