No, dogs should not eat aloe vera because it is toxic to dogs. Aloe contains anthraquinone glycosides, when a dog ingests this substance, it combines with bacteria in the digestive tract and produces mucus and water in the colon. This can result in excessive vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
|Toxic when ingested.
|A small amount is still toxic but might not produce severe symptoms. A significant amount can be lethal if not immediately treated.
|Diarrhea, excessive vomiting, change in urine color, abdominal pain, increased heart rate, lethargy, seizures, skin irritation.
|Can be lethal if adequate treatment is not given to the dog.
How Much Aloe Vera is Dangerous for Dogs?
The leaves of the aloe vera plants are toxic to dogs and if your dog eats a large amount of them, it can exhibit symptoms of aloe vera toxicity. There is no measurable amount of aloe vera that is dangerous for dogs, therefore, you should keep a close eye on your dog if it has eaten any amount of aloe vera leaves.
Why Can’t Dogs Eat Aloe Vera?
The leaves of the aloe vera plant contain substances such as glycosides and saponins which are toxic to dogs. These substances can cause abdominal issues and other symptoms once ingested.
What to Do if Your Dog Ate Aloe Vera?
If your dog has eaten the leaves of the aloe vera plant, it is best to contact your local veterinarian. While the severity of the symptoms depends on the amount eaten, you should not take any risks and get your dog checked by a vet to avoid any complications in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
Aloe vera gel can be used as a topical treatment on your dog’s skin. However, it is wise to not let your dog ingest any aloe vera gel since it can hold substances that are toxic to dogs.
The sap around the gel contains substances toxic to dogs, therefore, your dog can ingest a minute amount of aloe vera gel. However, we suggest not taking such a risk.