Yes, dogs can eat a few peppermint leaves in either fresh or dry form. Peppermint over here refers to the plant rather than the colloquial use of the term which is used to refer to peppermint-flavored candies and other food items. These commercially made items are harmful to dogs due to their high sugar content and use of concentrated peppermint oil.
|A few fresh or dry leaves are safe for dogs. More than that can irritate the mouth and digestive tract.
|Peppermint is filled with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It can be given to dogs occasionally to soothe their gastrointestinal tract if they have an upset stomach. Peppermint can also help with motion sickness
|Eating too many peppermint leaves can lead to digestive issues. Peppermint-flavored candies can have xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. Peppermint concentrated oil can also be harmful to dogs.
How Much Peppermint is Safe for Dogs?
A few leaves in dry or fresh form when given occasionally to dogs are completely safe. The other forms of peppermint, i.e., commercially made peppermint flavored food and concentrated peppermint oil is also safe albeit in very limited amounts. One peppermint candy is given as a treat and a few drops of peppermint oil are safe for dogs.
How to Feed Peppermint to Dogs?
You can occasionally add a few fresh peppermint leaves or crumble up the dry one in your dog’s regular meal to soothe its digestive system. Steer clear on any commercially-made peppermint item since its high sugar content is harmful to dogs and can cause obesity and pancreatitis in the long run.
Frequently Asked Questions
Peppermint leaves are not toxic to dogs, and one or two can be beneficial due to their soothing effects. However, peppermint oil can be toxic in large quantities.
Peppermint candies have a high amount of sugar which can be harmful to dogs and lead to weight gain. Some brands might also contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs. Therefore, it’s best to steer clear of peppermint candies for your dog.