Skip to content

No, dogs cannot eat chocolate cake. Chocolate cake is extremely dangerous for dogs and can be toxic for your pup, even in small quantities. Chocolate contains a dangerous chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous and potentially fatal for dogs.

Chocolate Cake
dangerous icon

Dangerous: This food is generally considered a serious threat to the health and wellbeing of dogs. Please contact your vet, a veterinary hospital or pet poison control if you suspect your dog has eaten this food recently.

Food Safety Dangerous
Nutritional Issue  Theobromine from Cocoa
Lethal Dose 100-150 mg/kg
Poisoning Symptoms Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity, death
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

What Makes Chocolate Cake Dangerous for Dogs?

The chocolate cake contains various ingredients that are potentially harmful to dogs, such as milk, sugar, and oil. All these ingredients are empty calories and can lead to problems like indigestion, weight gain, and pancreatitis.

However, cocoa powder is the most dangerous ingredient in chocolate cake. Cocoa powder or chocolate, in general, contains theobromine which is a toxic chemical. Even a small amount of theobromine can prove to be fatal for dogs.

How Much Chocolate Cake is Dangerous for Dogs?

Chocolate, even in small quantities, can be dangerous and potentially fatal for your dog – it depends on your dog’s weight and overall health conditions. Generally, theobromine doses between 100-150 mg per kg of a dog’s body weight are toxic, but quantities below that have also proven to be poisonous.

Moreover, you can find about 3000mg of theobromine in about 170g of baking chocolate, so you can imagine how much theobromine your dog can ingest with just a bite of chocolate cake. Hence, it’s best to avoid taking the risk and keep your canine friend away from the chocolate cake at all costs.

TIP: Dogs are attracted to sweet edibles like chocolate cake; hence, to protect your pup from consuming it, try keeping it out of their reach or give them a treat of their own to get busy with while you enjoy your chocolate cake.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog somehow got hold of your chocolate cake and got a bite or two of it – they will experience chocolate poisoning. The symptoms of chocolate toxicosis or theobromine poisoning appear within about 6 to 12 hours of ingestion and include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Hyperactivity
  • Sudden Death

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, chocolate is highly toxic for dogs and can be fatal in some cases.

  • While other than chocolate cake, most cakes do not contain toxic ingredients; they are still made from ingredients such as milk, sugar, and fat that are dangerous for your pup.

  • Sugar-free cakes typically include additives and artificial sweeteners like xylitol which is toxic for dogs.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.