No, dogs cannot eat coffee because it is toxic for them. Coffee contains caffeine, which is a dangerous ingredient for dogs – whether it’s coffee beans or drink, ingesting even a small amount of caffeine can trigger caffeine poisoning in your canine, which in some cases can also be lethal.
|140 mg/kg (63 mg/lb) or less
|Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, high blood pressure, restlessness
|Severe Poisoning Symptoms
|Elevated heart rate, tremors, hyperthermia, seizures
How Much Coffee is Dangerous for Dogs
The amount of coffee that is dangerous for dogs depends on the caffeine in the coffee products. If your fur baby takes a few sips from your coffee cup, there isn’t much to worry about because homemade coffee is usually mild and diluted with milk or water – hence the amount of caffeine is less. However, an espresso shot has more caffeine, or if you find your dog consuming coffee beans, then there is something to worry about.
Apart from the amount and type of coffee ingestion, the degree of toxicity also depends on the age and size of your dog. Regardless, 140 mg/kg (63 mg/lb) caffeine can be toxic for dogs – however, anything less is also dangerous.
Symptoms of Caffeine Poisoning in Dogs
If you find out your dog has ingested coffee or other caffeine-containing products, you need to look out for the following signs and symptoms:
- High blood pressure
- ExcessiveuUrination and thirst
These symptoms usually show 30 to 60 minutes of ingestion. However, in case of ingestion of high amounts of caffeine, your dog is likely to show more serious symptoms of caffeine poisoning that last upto 12 hours to several days. These symptoms include:
- Elevated heart rate
- Abnormal heart rhythm
In this case, it’s best to rush your pet to a vet as soon as you first observe the symptoms becuase caffeine poisoning can be lethal in dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Coffee mainly contains caffeine, which is a toxic ingredient for dogs and some cases, can also be lethal.
First, determine how much coffee they have ingested. If it’s only a few sips, you shouldn’t worry and wait to observe the symptoms. However, if it is in high amounts, then it’s best to take them to the vet.
No, all types of coffee are dangerous for dogs as they contain caffeine which is toxic for them.