Skip to content

No, grape jelly is not safe for dogs. While it might be tempting to share this yummy human treat with your furry friend, it’s essential to understand that this seemingly innocent snack can be highly dangerous for your dog. Regardless of your dog’s specific characteristics, such as breed or age, grape toxicity remains a threat. Given that no safe amount for consumption has been established, it is crucial to avoid giving your furry friend grapes or raisins entirely!

Grape Jelly
dangerous icon

Dangerous: This food is generally considered a serious threat to the health and wellbeing of dogs. Please contact your vet, a veterinary hospital or pet poison control if you suspect your dog has eaten this food recently.

What Makes Grape Jelly Dangerous?

Besides the high sugar content of grape jelly, grapes, the primary ingredient in grape jelly, are toxic to dogs. Any product containing grapes can pose a significant risk to your dog’s health.

The exact reason for grape toxicity in dogs is still unclear, but some research suggests that the presence of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate could be responsible for their poisonous nature.

TIP: Instead of grape jelly, consider offering your dog a healthy and safe sweet treat like homemade dog-friendly fruit popsicles. Simply blend dog-safe fruits like blueberries, strawberries, or watermelon with coconut water. Pour the mixture into ice cube trays or popsicle molds and freeze until solid.

These refreshing, low-sugar treats will satisfy your dog’s sweet tooth while providing essential nutrients, without posing any health risks.

What to do if Your Eats Grape Jelly?

If your dog has consumed grape jelly, there is a risk of grape poisoning, which can be life-threatening. To ensure your dog’s safety, it is crucial to act quickly and take them to the veterinarian without delay.

If the incident occurs outside of regular working hours, don’t hesitate to bring your dog to an emergency pet clinic for immediate attention.

It’s important to note that some grape jellies may not contain actual grapes but instead use artificial grape flavorings. Although these flavorings can also be toxic to dogs, their toxicity level might be lower compared to real grapes. Nevertheless, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian, even if your dog has only consumed a small amount of grape jelly, to determine the appropriate course of action and provide the necessary care for your furry friend.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, dogs cannot eat grapes. It is one of the most unsafe and highly toxic fruits for dogs and must be avoided.

  • Dogs can eat a bite or two of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without experiencing an adverse reaction. However, it is not the best choice of food because it can cause dental issues and weight gain in dogs.

  • A few licks of jelly made from safe ingredients for your dog is unlikely to harm your dog. However, since it is high in sugar content, it is best avoided.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.