Skip to content

No, dogs cannot eat Reese’s pieces; in fact, they are dangerous for your dog. Reese’s pieces are colorful candies with xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic for dogs. Moreover, the candy is primarily composed of sugar and fats, which are harmful ingredients for your canine friend.

Reese's Pieces
dangerous icon

Dangerous: This food is generally considered a serious threat to the health and wellbeing of dogs. Please contact your vet, a veterinary hospital or pet poison control if you suspect your dog has eaten this food recently.

Food Safety Dangerous
Nutritional Issue  Xylitol, sugar, fat, artificial color
Poisoning Symptoms Vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and low blood sugar
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

What Makes Reese’s Pieces Dangerous for Dogs?

Reese’s pieces are candies that are essentially made from sugar and fat, and both of these ingredients are potentially harmful to dogs. Increased intake of sugary and fatty foods can result in diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and pancreatitis in your pup.

Other than that, Reese’s pieces also contain xylitol, which is a toxic ingredient. This artificial sweetener can cause serious damage to your furbaby’s health and also lead to poisoning.

Signs Your Dog Ate Too Many Reese’s Pieces

If you find your pup with a packet of Reese’s pieces with their mouth stained in the color of the candy, you can be sure that your pup managed to sneak a mouthful of the candy. While a small amount of candy may not trigger instant symptoms,  consuming large amounts of candy can cause a reaction. In this case, you must look out for signs of stomach distress, such as pain, gas, vomiting, and diarrhea.

What to Do if Your Dog is Sick from Eating Reese’s Pieces?

If your dog is sick from eating Reese’s Pieces, it will show signs of stomach distress and gastrointestinal inflammation. In this case, it’s best to rush them to a vet to eliminate any potential risks and get them medical help in due time.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, dogs should not use Reese’s peanut butter cups as they contain chocolate which is toxic for dogs and can also be fatal.

  • No, dogs should not eat candies. Candies contain high amounts of sugar and artificial additives that are harmful to their health.

  • Reese’s pieces are dangerous for dogs because they are sugary candies with high amounts of fats and artificial sweeteners like xylitol. Xylitol is a toxic substance and can cause poisoning in your canine friend.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.