No, you cannot give Skittles to dogs because of their high sugar content and minimal nutritional value. However, small quantities of Skittles would be harmless for your dogs. Too many of these can lead to an upset stomach, including vomiting, diarrhea, and bloating.
|Not safe, but not harmful in small quantities
|5-10g per day
|Vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite
Common Skittle Ingredients
- Sugar – The main ingredient in Skittles is sugar, which should be consumed in moderate amounts; otherwise, it can lead to detrimental health effects.
- Xylitol – This is a common substitute for sugar in manufactured candies. If consumed excessively, it can lead to xylitol poisoning.
How Many Skittles Are Bad For Dogs?
Skittles are harmless to dogs if eaten in moderation. 10g is the highest amount of sugar that should be given to dogs in any form. And since Skittles are mostly made of sugar, and one skittle weighs 1g, ten Skittles are the maximum number you should give. Anything more than ten could be dangerous for your dog.
Signs That a Dog Has Eaten Too Many Skittles
Dogs cannot consume too much sugar because if they do, it can lead to an upset stomach. It can also result in vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. In the long run, consuming too many Skittles can lead to weight gain, diabetes, and cavities in your dog.
Actions to Take If a Dog Eats Too Many Skittles
Your dog will need to be treated by the vet right away if they have consumed too many Skittles. Hence, you should contact one at the earliest.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, dogs cannot eat Sour Skittles because they contain xylitol, which is toxic for dogs.
Skittles are not harmful for dogs when consumed in moderation, but they don’t have any known health benefits for dogs.