No, dogs should not eat crunchy peanut butter if it contains xylitol. Peanuts and peanut butter themselves are not toxic, however, peanut butter with xylitol is toxic to dogs and should not be fed to them at all. Owners should always read the ingredients before giving commercially-made peanut butter to their pets.
|Safe in moderate amounts if it does not contain xylitol
|Chunky peanut butter might contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs. Peanut butter is also high in fats and sodium, which is also harmful.
|Xylitol toxicity can be lethal. The high fat content of peanut butter can also lead to chronic conditions such as diabetes and obesity. Palm oil in some brands of peanut butter can cause diarrhea.
|Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, weakness, lethargy
How Much Crunchy Peanut Butter is Bad for Dogs?
Crunchy peanut butter, even without the harmful additives, should only be given as an occasional treat to your dogs. As a rule of thumb, the peanut butter portion should not exceed more than 10% of your dog’s daily calorie intake. Because peanut butter is very high in calories, a half tablespoon is usually more than enough.
How to Feed Peanut Butter to Dogs?
If you want to feed crunchy peanut butter to your dog as an occasional treat, the best option is to make it yourself at home. Commercial peanut butter brands are high in sugar and sodium, have preservatives, and also include toxic ingredients like xylitol. Organic peanut butter made at home will be a much healthier alternative for your dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
JIF crunchy peanut butter does not have xylitol, therefore, it is safe to give to your dogs as an occasional treat.
Crunchy peanut butter has chunks of peanuts, but it is highly unlikely that your dog will choke on them as long as they chew the peanuts thoroughly.