No, dogs should not eat macadamia nuts because they are toxic. Symptoms of toxicity can begin within 3 to 24 hours of ingestion, and may include tremors, muscle weakness, vomiting, and high body temperature. Dogs can recover within 48 hours, however, intravenous fluid and antiemetics can be used for treatment in severe cases.
|Toxic even in small amounts
|Dogs have shown symptoms of toxicosis from a serving of 1 nut per kg of body weight
|Vomiting, tremors, muscle weakness, high body temperature, depression
|Severe poisoning can need medical intervention in the form of administering intravenous fluids and antiemetics to stop vomiting
How Many Macadamia Nuts Are Dangerous for Dogs?
According to clinical studies, even a small amount of macadamia nuts can cause toxicosis in dogs. Dogs have shown symptoms from a number as low as one nut per kg of body weight – meaning a 10 pound dog could show signs of toxicity from eating 4 macadamia nuts.
Why Can’t Dogs eat Macadamia Nuts?
The source of the toxicity in macadamia nuts is unknown. The nut is completely safe for humans but due to an unknown mechanism it results in several toxicity symptoms in dogs.
What to Do if Your Dog Ate Macadamia Nuts?
If your dog has eaten macadamia nuts, it will begin to show symptoms within 3 to 24 hours. Most dogs recover from the symptoms within 48 hours, however it best to contact your local veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for further guidance. Your dog may need medical assistance in cases where the symptoms are severe and can only be stopped through medical intervention.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, a dog cannot eat a single macadamia nut since even that has the ability to be toxic depending on the size of your dog.
Most dogs are expected to make a full recovery from the symptoms of macadamia nut toxicosis within 24-48 hours.