As dog owners, we understand that our furry friends are naturally curious and often express this curiosity by putting almost anything they find into their mouths, especially colorful items like crayons or candy. This can become problematic, especially when the substance in question is something like Play-Doh. Children’s toys, craft materials, and household items are frequently within a dog’s reach, making instances of dogs ingesting Play-Doh more common than you may realize.
Is Play-Doh Dangerous for Dogs?
In brief, the answer is yes. While Play-Doh isn’t necessarily toxic, it can be harmful if your dog consumes a large amount. It is non-toxic in the sense that it does not contain any dangerous chemicals or substances that could poison your pet. However, Play-Doh is high in sodium, and if ingested in large quantities, it can lead to salt poisoning in dogs. In addition, its dense, sticky texture makes it difficult for dogs to digest. If a significant amount is consumed, it could potentially lead to a blockage in the gastrointestinal tract, a serious health issue that often requires veterinary intervention. The same goes for homemade Play-Doh. In fact, it can often be more dangerous.1
Symptoms of Sickness
If your dog has ingested Play-Doh, there are certain symptoms to look out for:
- Excessive Thirst and Urination: An immediate sign of salt poisoning can be increased thirst and urination due to the body’s attempt to balance out the high sodium levels.
- Vomiting or Diarrhea: These symptoms could indicate a distressed digestive system struggling with the foreign substance.
- Loss of Appetite: Your dog may show a lack of interest in food due to discomfort or nausea.
- Lethargy: If your dog seems unusually tired or unresponsive, it may be a sign of salt poisoning or a digestive blockage.
- Seizures: In severe cases of salt poisoning, dogs may experience tremors or seizures.
When to Contact a Professional
If you suspect your dog has ingested Play-Doh and is showing any of the symptoms mentioned above, it’s important to contact your veterinarian immediately. Even if no symptoms are evident yet, it’s advisable to seek professional help, especially if you know your dog has consumed a significant amount.
Final Thoughts: Dogs and Play-Doh
In the dynamic and exploratory world of our pets, accidents like a dog eating Play-Doh can occur. Although Play-Doh isn’t inherently toxic, its high sodium content and potential to cause a blockage make it a danger if consumed in large amounts. Recognizing the signs of distress and acting promptly by seeking professional help can make all the difference in ensuring your pet’s health and well-being.
Hypernatremia in Dogs, (2007). http://vetfolio-vetstreet.s3.amazonaws.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
While a tiny nibble might not cause severe harm, it’s still crucial to avoid letting your dog eat Play-Doh due to its high sodium content and potential to cause digestive issues.
Symptoms may not appear immediately but can develop within a few hours to a day. Monitoring your dog closely and contacting a veterinarian is advisable.
Never try to induce vomiting without consulting a vet first. In most cases, inducing vomiting can cause more harm than good.
Ensure all toys and craft materials like Play-Doh are kept out of your dog’s reach. Training your dog with commands like “leave it” or “drop it” can also help.