Skip to content

No, dogs should not eat clams because they can pose several health risks. Raw clams can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. The shells of the clam can also be a choking hazard and are likely to become an intestinal obstruction if swallowed. Due to these issues, don’t give clams to your dog.

caution icon

Caution: This food is generally considered risky by the veterinary community. Dogs should not eat this food and should be monitored for adverse effects.

Food Safety Only safe to eat if properly cooked and the shell is removed.
Nutritional Issues Raw clam can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning in dogs. The shells of the clams present a risk of choking and can also obstruct the digestive tract.
Potential Risks Raw clams can cause food poisoning. They can also contain a significant amount of mercury which is toxic.
Symptoms Weakness, difficulty walking, excessive drooling, vomiting
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

How Many Clams Are Bad for Dogs?

Occasionally feeding your dog a moderate amount of cooked clam meat can be safe. However, feeding in excess or every day can lead to an imbalanced diet high in fat due to the fatty acids found in the meat. Too many calories can cause weight gain and obesity which then leads to many other health conditions.

What Makes Clams Unsafe?

Raw clams are unsafe because they can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning. Eating too many clams may also cause mercury poisoning. Clam meat is also high in sodium and cholesterol, so feeding them in excess can cause several health issues such as pancreatitis, gastrointestinal upset, and more.

Symptoms of Poisoning from Clams

If your dog has been poisoned by clams, it will exhibit these symptoms:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Weakness
  • Difficulty walking
  • Vomiting

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after eating clams, seek immediate medical assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Some dogs may be allergic to seafood and could show symptoms if they eat clams. It is always important to consult your vet before introducing new food to your dog’s diet.

  • Dogs can consume cooked clam meat in moderation, however, raw clams can be toxic and cause paralytic seafood poisoning in dogs.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Writer
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.