Yes, it’s safe to feed lobster to your dog, as long as it’s in limited quantities. There are various health benefits, such as good amounts of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. However, one thing to consider before feeding it to your dog is to boil it first and remove the meat from the shell.
|Safe in moderation
|Nutrients, vitamins, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc
|high in sodium, allergic reactions, choking hazard
Is Lobster Good for Dogs?
Yes, once it’s properly cleaned of its shell and cooked without any butter, salt or other seasoning lobster can be given to dogs. In fact lobster has multiple benefits including:
- Lobster meat contains a chock-full of protein. This will help your dog build lean muscle and improve its strength.
- Boiled or steamed lobster meat is an excellent source of Vitamin B12, calcium, copper, selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc. These nutrients help boost your dog’s immune system and bone health.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in lobster meat improve your dog’s kidney and brain health. In fact, it is especially beneficial for older dogs with heart problems.
How Much Lobster Is Good for Dogs?
Typically, you should keep the serving size under 2 ounces per day. Due to the high sodium and fat content that comes with lobster, it’s recommended not to feed it to your dog regularly. However, giving your dog this delightful treat once a week should suffice as long as it shows no symptoms of digestive difficulties or allergic reactions.
Can Dogs Eat Lobster Shells?
While you can feed your dog modest amounts of lobster meat, avoid giving them any part of the shell. The shell can cause choking in smaller dogs, while the sharp bits can irritate all parts of their digestive system including the intestines, stomach, and esophagus. Please get medical attention if your dog has ingested any lobster shells.
Can Dogs Eat Raw Lobster?
Raw lobsters might contain parasites and bacteria that lead to food poisoning1. So, we recommend boiling the lobster in the same way we eat them, but do so without any additional salt or other seasonings, and chopping it into small bite-sized pieces to be served as an occasional treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dogs are rarely allergic to lobster. However, that doesn’t mean that an allergic reaction will never happen. A few symptoms of an allergic reaction to lobster meat include itching, diarrhea, and vomiting.
It’s best to avoid feeding your dog lobster brains. It can lead to paralytic shellfish poisoning2. Symptoms include unstable walking, vomiting, and excessive drooling.
Lobster shells are sharp and pointy and can damage your dog’s stomach, intestines, and esophagus.