Skip to content

Yes, sweet corn is a safe and healthy treat for your dog that is packed with essential nutrients, ensuring that they stay healthy and happy! Whether you choose to steam or boil it, sweet corn makes for a delicious and nutritious topper for your dog’s meal. You can even use sweet corn in homemade recipes for your pup, adding a touch of sweetness and crunch to their diet.

safe icon

Safe: This food is generally considered safe by the veterinary community. Dogs can eat this food sometimes or in small amounts but contains little to no nutritional value.

Food Safety A safe and healthy in moderation
Nutritional Value Antioxidants, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and fiber
Potential Risks Allergic reaction, upset stomach
Every dog is different. For specific feeding guidelines, including quantities and beneficial foods that are best for your dog, please consult your vet.

What Happens if Dogs Eat Too Much Sweetcorn?

Eating too much corn can cause digestive distress for your dog. Sweetcorn is high in fiber and can cause loose stool if too much is consumed. Additionally, it has a high amount of sugar and carbohydrates, which can cause diarrhea, gas, and bloating in dogs when consumed excessively.

Note that some dogs are allergic to corn in general. In that case, any amount of sweetcorn can induce an adverse reaction.

TIP: When planning your dog’s meal, make sure that you are offering a balanced meal that ensures your dog is getting all their nutrients.

How Much Sweet Corn is Safe for Dogs?

A few kernels of plain sweetcorn are enough for your dog as a snack. Remember, 90% of your dog’s daily diet should be protein based. The remaining 10% can be from fruits and vegetables.

A crucial detail to remember regarding corn is that sweet corn is safe as long it is not on its cob. Corn on the cob can cause serious harm to your dog,

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, dogs cannot eat creamed corn. Cream corn contains ingredients like milk and butter which are harmful to dogs.

  • No, dogs cannot eat corn on the cob. Although non-toxic, corn on the cob is harmful to dogs and can cause a choking hazard.

  • It is best to avoid canned sweetcorn because it is high in sodium. Excessive salt consumption can cause your dog to experience dehydration, lethargy, vomiting, and diarrhea.

About the Writer
Dan Greco , Dog Dad

Having been a dog dad for 5 years, I know how hard it is to make sure your dog gets the right nutrients and stays away from hazardous foods. With the help of a veterinarian who specializes in nutrition, I created this blog to help dog owners quickly access food information they need.

photo of vet holding a pup
About the Contributor
Dr. Hillary Wolfe , Veterinarian & Certified Food Therapist

Dr. Wolfe holds a doctorate in veterinary medicine from Kansas State University and holds nutrition certifications from the NAVC and CIVT. Her business, Tula Veterinary Nutrition, hosts online courses that teach owners how to cook for their pet for optimal health and longevity. Follow her on Instagram at @doctorwolfe.dvm for dog nutrition tips, recipes and insights.